Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The loss of my brother

He was born November 20,l942. He was my big brother. We have been estranged for more than six years, due to issues we never reconcilled. In earlier years, we shared a childhood, the same last name, and a history of abuse and neglect from my father. Yet, Jerry was there when Dad died in 74. He called me with the news. He was there in 88 when my mother died. I called him with the news. I performed his 3rd marriage. I kept in touch with all his children, who are now all adults. We had some good memories. Jerry loved Christmas- mostly because we never had happy ones as children. Jerry loved the marine corps and had a tatoo of USMC on his forearm
Jerry loved uniforms and spent time not only in the military, but in the police force.
I feel I lost my brother many years ago due to choices both of us made that drove a wedge into the childhood dedication we had for one another. I just found out today in March, that Jerry died in December. He was 66 years old. My twin died at 63 last June, and the loss of my brother in the same year leaves me with confusing emotions. I will try to let the bad memories slip away and think about some of the good times we had along the way. I didn't agree with his actions, but he was my brother, and I write this this memorial to Jerry Albert Bogle-passed on 12-22-08. I hope he was able to celebrate Christmas early!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish to offer my condolences to you and am sorry to hear that your only brother died. He was just a year younger than me as I was born in 1941. It's too bad that it took more than two months for you to find out about it as I'm sure you would have wanted to go and pay your respects. You are not alone as I have had to deal with relatives on both my side and my wife's side who are reclusive and don't want to have anything to do with us. We have tried to be nice to them but they don't return the favor. All we can do is pray for them and hope they come around. With man it looks impossible but with God all things are possible.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry for the loss of your big brother, no one can replace him in your life. I know, my big brother is 61 and suffering from lung cancer with spread to the spine.

I accidently ran across your name while looking up Exodus International. I was supposedly "cured" of my lesbianism through a ministry here in Minnesota. I stuffed that part of who I am for 10 years, and came out again about two years ago. I know that God loves me just as I am, I just wish my family (I am not out to them) could accept me as I am. I know that the ex-gay ministry I went through for years treated me with great love and respect as long as I jumped through their hoops, now they want nothing to do with me. I hurts to know their love was conditional, however, the love of my lesbian friends and non lesbian friends is unconditional. I am blessed.

EDWIN H. PEART said...

Anonymous, whoever you are, you have my full support. I'm a straight Christian and I live just above Minnesota in the Province of Manitoba in Canada so that makes me your next door neighbour. It's sad to see that people still try to hitch their wagon to ministries that are doomed to fail from the start and are leading so many gullible people to despair and suicide. I have tried to reason with some of these ministries but I have discovered for the most part that it is next to impossible to get through to them because you can't reason with people who are unreasonable. These ministries think that being gay is something you can turn on or off like a light switch and they refuse to listen to any helpful information that says otherwise if it can't be found in the Bible or if it can does not agree with their interpretation of the Scriptures. When are they going to learn that the Bible writers could only talk about the things they understood and not about a lot of things that we know today that were unknown to them? We can only learn how to understand what being gay is when we learn to think outside the box. Keep on keeping on anonymous and don't let anyone ever try to change you. God loves you just the way you are and so do I.

Anonymous said...

why not...