Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A family Visit & Disneyland

Today is a good day. My great niece, Cheristy, is coming from Washington on her Spring break. She will turn 12 years old while she is here, and Becky and I will go with her and her mother to Disneyland. Cheristy, for the first time, and we are returning after many previous visits. I am excited and happy to share some happiness with her after so many losses this past year or so. It's funny how Disneyland can be such a catalyst for happy memories. I know Arlene would be happy to know we are making good memories for our family.
I will know a lot more about her after a 7 hour, three day trip to the Southland. I'm excited about that aspect of a family visit. I'm sure I'll have pictures with Mickey Mouse to add to this post upon our return.
Thank you Lord for special times to celebrate!

1 comment:

EDWIN H. PEART said...

You and I have something in common with one of the original mouseketeers. This mouseketeer had the same first name as you, Darlene, and like me was born in Canada. Her full name was Darlene Gillespie and she was born in Montreal Quebec. If another mousketeer named Annette hadn't come on the scene, she would have probably instead of Annette gone on to greater things as she was a great performer. I have a stuffed Pluto the Dog here in the basement room standing guard. It was made from a pattern by my mother's oldest sister and it graced the living room of her house for many years. After her passing, I was able to claim it from her estate as I always admired it from the time I was small and there was no way that it was going to be auctioned off to some total stranger. As a child, I used to have a Mickey Mouse Weather House. It had openings on either side and if it was going to be nice weather, a smiling Mickey Mouse came out one side. It it was going to rain, Donald Duck dressed in a rain coat and carrying an umbrella would come out the other side. I don't know what became of it but my guess is I outgrew it and my mother probably gave it away to the Salvation Army or the Goodwill to give to some needy child. Hopefully it went to a good home.Hope that you and Becky along with your great niece and her mother enjoyed your visit to Disneyland. I have always admired the Disney Organization for allowing their parks to be used for the celebration of Gay Days. It is definitely a step in the right direction.